Colombia and colorful Cartagena

CARTAGENA, MI CASA SU CASA


Never imagined Colombia had so much to offer. The vibe that Cartagena emanate is unique, never seen in any other city in the world. It is like a music that you hear it only in your mind and makes you start humming. This is Cartagena for me.
Obviously, my husband and I went also on an emerald hunt convincing myself that I need an emerald just because is cheaper here than anywhere else in the world. After visiting a few shops we gave up, save the money for another journey. Because traveling is better than a jewel in my fingers. No sorrow!
The port of Cartagena has an amazing garden, here is where I saw my first Flamingos, peacocks, and Toucans.

To reach the city it is not advisable to walk so we decided to take a taxi, knowing beforehand that we need to bargain with the taxi drivers. The cost of the journey was 10 USD for a 10-15 minutes ride. Some of the taxi drivers asked us about 100 USD, others 50 USD, it wasn't very easy to actually get a ride for the real cost, but speaking Spanish definitely helped us. Driving towards the city we could notice a few neighborhoods very much like the Favelas of Rio De Janeiro.

Once arrived the taxi drops us at the city gate, very colorful is our first impression. The old city center can be walked, great views of the sea from the city, lively city indeed. Lots of street traders selling anything that you can think of, few cafe shops and restaurants.
As I was taking pictures around, one lady dressed in a traditional outfit meant to draw attention and earn a few pennies comes towards me and in Spanish, she is asking for money as I took her picture. She was quite adamant but I did not lost my temper or got scared, talked to her in Spanish and calmed her down as I had no intention of giving her any money. This is what she was counting on, that I will get scared and give her any money just to make her shut up.

We continued our city exploration with same admiration as before as Cartagena it is indeed a beautiful city!





































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nuku Hiva and the Cannibals

Bora Bora and French Polynesia

Naked truth about the life of a crew member onboard a cruise ship

Translate